Don’t Let Your Internship Search Overwhelm You
You’ve spent weeks looking for an internship where you can put everything you learned as a student into practice, but awaiting a response and the uncertainty of whether you’ll find one are making you feel anxious.
These feelings of anxiety and uneasiness do not necessarily imply anything negative. It’s simply the body’s way of adapting to help you overcome difficult moments in life, such as this.
You have likely heard before that looking for work, or an internship in this case, is a job in itself. It is something that we have all gone through, and in which you need to invest time and, of course, patience. Keeping this anxiety under control is your goal. A good way to do this is to take advantage of your free time and add new routines to get the most out of your day.
The EIO encourages you to implement the following recommendations to make your internship search more bearable:
- Plan your day to day: Make a schedule each day and stick to it. Devote a limited time each day to looking for an internship, learning, exercising, etc. Do a variety of things that will keep you busy and make you feel active.
- Define realistic goals and expectations: We spend a lot of time and effort looking for an internship and don’t always get the desired results as quickly as we would like, since on many occasions, it’s something that does not depend on us. That’s why it’s important to set goals that are realistic and whose actions depend on you, such as applying to one job offer each day or keeping your resume updated.
- A healthy mind in a healthy body: Exercising or playing your favourite sport will help you to get rid of stress, improve your self-esteem and make you feel better in general. If you go to a gym or are part of a sports team you can meet people. These new contacts could be the starting point for finding employment in the future.
- Be optimistic: By being enthusiastic, positive and optimistic you’ll eventually achieve your goal if you put your mind to it. Don’t let negativity overcome you in moments of weakness.
- Find support: If you feel overwhelmed, look for a friend or relative willing to listen to you. You will feel relieved and hearing someone else’s point of view can help you see things in a different way.
Keep these tips in mind and you’ll see how your next job is just around the corner!