Capitalise on Your Creativity
If you were to ask hiring managers at different companies which skills they value most in candidates, they would all likely place creativity at the top of the list. Why? Well, the constant evolution of companies requires people that will help to improve their performance by coming up with and implementing creative ideas and unique solutions.
You’ve likely often heard that creativity is innate – either you have it or you don’t. But don’t be fooled by this: creativity is a skill that can and should be developed throughout our lives.
It is true that we are not all born with the same creative abilities, but certain exercises and habits can help us to develop this capacity. Here are 7 tips to boost your creativity:
- Be curious: Humans are curious by nature. If you want to know something, don’t hold back, inquire about it. But don’t settle for the first answer that you’re given. Dig deeper and look for additional information. You never know what you’ll find!
- Never stop learning: Learn something new every day. Read books, attend lectures, go to exhibitions, enrol in a course, etc.
- Experiment: Don’t limit yourself to things you already know, try something new. For example, if you like sports and enjoy running or going to the gym, try a group activity, e.g. sign up for a team sport such as football, basketball or handball. You’ll meet new people who will share their personal experiences with you. Remember that every person is a world unto himself.
- Be observant: Look at everything around you as if it were the first time you were seeing it. Take in all the details. It will help you to see things from a different point of view.
- Listen: The hustle and bustle of our everyday lives affects our ability to listen to what the people around us are saying. Be sure to listen to the opinions, stories and different points of view of friends, family or acquaintances. Doing so will allow you to see and do things differently, in addition to opening your mind to new ideas and opportunities.
- Be yourself: Everyone has his or her own style. Although you may have role models, don’t become obsessed with trying to be just as good as them.
- Let your imagination run wild. Write down all the ideas that cross your mind, even if they seem crazy or completely preposterous. You never know, they might just end up being the best solution for solving a problem.
Follow these tips to boost your creativity. Remember that the world of imagination is boundless!